Followers

Monday, February 26, 2024

Poem of the Day - Part 48

 My Beard
by Shel Silverstein

Today we have another poem by Shel Silverstein (1930-1999).  Silverstein was an author, poet, cartoonist, and songwriter.  Best known for his children's books like A Light In the Attic, he also wrote the Johnny Cash song A Boy Named Sue and was a regular contributor to Playboy magazine.  Above, Silverstein on an assignment for Playboy to a nudist camp.  Silverstein was not gay.  He once visited Fire Island on assignment for Playboy, resulting in a bunch of cartoons that poked fun at the gay men there, but no more than he poked fun at everyone else.

Today's poem is called My Beard.  I think it was just meant to be playful, but these naga sadhus (Hindu holy men who have renounced everything, including clothes) bring it to life quite literally.

                                        My beard grows to my toes

                                        I never wears no clothes

(Note: this guy has wrapped his penis around the pole to show that he renounces physical passion.  Other naga sadhus wrap their penis around something sharp, like a sword.)

                                        I wraps my hair around my bare

                                        and down the road I goes.

3 comments:

Xersex said...

very interesting!

Gerald said...

I have been interested in naga sadhus ever since I first became aware of them. After all, they ARE naked men! I have read that they undergo some procedure that makes their penis inoperable. I don't know if this is true or not, but it would be a pity. The bottom photo is interesting. Being around all those naked men would certainly be interesting, even with their bodies smeared with ashes.

Anonymous said...

What about his cartoons?