Followers

Thursday, June 29, 2023

Vintage Military - Part 43

 U.S. Conscription - World War I

Recruits in the U.S, like other countries, were examined naked.  This War Department photo from 1917-1918 shows a physical exam in Boston, Massachusetts.  Note where the eyes of the examiner at left are looking.

Physical exams in 1917-1918 at Camp Gordon, Georgia.  This was evidently an assembly-line process.

Men passing the medical inspection for infectious disease or vermin in 1918 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts.

Above is an excerpt from a Department of Defense video about the draft in World War I.  The new recruits shower and then are physically examined naked.

This aviation recruit is being medically examined in April, 1918 in the Episcopal Hospital, Washington, DC.  The recruit is first weighed, above, then examined in the next 5 photos.

We've seen these photos before, but they're worth showing again.  Examining the shoulder ...

the forearm ...

the groin ("please cough") ...

the foot ...

and this exam is very thorough.

This black recruit is being measured for clothing at Camp Meade, Maryland (later Fort Meade).  Of course, the Army was segregated in those days.  The photo dates from Oct. 4, 1918.  Little did they know that World War I would end the following month on Armistice Day, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918.

9 comments:

Xersex said...

I was amazed by the photo of the asshole. I didn't realize they also visited the asshole. But I think it's right to do it.

Big Dude said...

We have to be careful not to sexualize this. It was not unusual back then. The vast majority of the men were not homosexual, and those who were, were not likely to show it or admit it. Yes, that one guy seems to be looking at the recruit's cock. But was he for sure? I'm not convinced that was the case.

Anonymous said...

So many men, so much nudity. For a gay doctor back then, it must have been like a fox working in the hen house. Where to look first.

whkattk said...

The exams were still an assembly line of naked recruits in the 1970s...and did indeed include "bend over and spread 'em." That, btw, would be to look for hemorrhoids which could prove either A, Intestinal issues, or B, homosexual behavior. Either of which could disqualify one from service back in those days.

SickoRicko said...

I always enjoy seeing their beautiful butts.

Mr. Bel Air said...

With respect to the picture with the soldier whose eyes seem to be looking at the recruit's penis; it's a leap to discuss his sexuality. Who hasn't hasn't taken furtive looks in the locker-room to compare one's self with others?

With respect to the forearm inspection picture: The recruit seems so young; yet he's wearing what appears to be a wedding ring....eh gads, either he was married young or I'm just getting older and any one under 25 looks like a 17-yr-old to me.

JiEL said...

@ M. Bel Air,

I also like this young recrut and his ass is so nic not to mention his gorgeous eyes etc... Uncut dick is what I like also.

For his age, I can tell you that when I was 23yo I did have some issues to get in bars, had to always show my IDs, becauce I looked then like a 14yo boy.
No beard, no hair on my body and I was a skinny twink.

So age is hard to tell on only some photos.

Gerald said...

I, too, went through these recruitment inspections. I didn’t think much about it then. Now I really enjoy looking at pictures of naked recruits and think of all the sights I could have seen had my thinking been so different than it is now, and the big thing is that back then a person better not be gazing at penises. Oh, to be where other men appreciate you looking at their penises!!! It is too bad that the black recruit isn't facing us!

Anonymous said...

They still made us spread cheeks in 1980...