Followers

Monday, August 15, 2022

Poem of the Day - Part 26

 Hail Fellow Well Met

You've probably heard the phrase "Hail fellow well met," describing a person whose behavior is hearty and friendly.  It was used in a 1728 poem by Jonathan Swift called My Lady's Lamentation and Complaint,  but Swift, ever the satirist, used it a bit differently.  The poem is far too long to quote it all here, so I'll just quote the relevant verse.

                        Hail fellow well met
                        All  dirty and wet
                        Find out if you can
                        Who's master, who's man.

Of course, "hail fellow well met" could also describe a greeting, like this guy greeting another guy at a street fair with what's known as the Folsom handshake.

2 comments:

Big Dude said...

Two really great pix, Larry. I wonder how much fun the two guys in the first picture had getting all muddy like that. And I love the Folsom handshake!I have experienced it several times...

Anonyme said...

I would join them in a heartbeat.